My name is Lou.
This website is a collection of thoughts on some inter-related topics: Careers, Finance, Fitness and Technology. If I were to define a common theme it would be: Figuring things (read: life) out.
But — more specifically — what I write about is:
Technology — I’ve been creating software for eight years now. I’m most interested in how we approach creating software and what goes into creating high-quality products. I also write about the ups, downs and experiments of building my own product: Splitoo.
Personal Finance — At twenty three I started a property investment business. I also invest in different ways and like to share how I think about and experiment with money.
Personal Health & Fitness — Since nineteen I’ve been a competitive Weightlifter & Powerlifter. But more recently I’m spending my time with my butt on a road bike saddle.
Careers & Personal Development — I often find myself reading and talking about careers so I turn the best conversations I have into posts. I was a technology mentor for years and I currently freelance write about technology topics.
Misc — The other stuff I’m into: motorbikes, philosophy, reading and playing music. Hopefully someday I’ll be writing about learning woodwork and taking apart Motorbikes and Cars.
Running this website can take a lot of time, so if you’d be willing to support me you can do so by subscribing for updates, leaving a comment on a post or sending me an email with a question you have. Any or all of these would mean the world to me, so thank you.
Articles On The Dev Coach…
On software building
- ACloudGuru Review: AWS SysOps Exam Prep.
- Setting up a REST API on Serverless Framework
- Docker Performance Tips and Tricks
- Node.JS Error Handling
- Node.js Performance Tuning and Testing
- Common DevOps Myths and Misconceptions
- Serverless Error Monitoring Strategies
- Containers: Benefits and Making a Business Case
- Why Your Code Review Could Be Doing More Harm Than Good…
- Before you build the product, build the deployment pipeline.
On business and entrepreneurship
- Are you thinking of building an app or website? Ask yourself these four questions first.
- Iterating to product/market fit
- The Secret Splitoo Master Plan (just between you and me)
On careers and leadership
- How To: Get Over Your Fears Of Writing And Just Get Going
- 8 Non-Programming Books You Haven’t Considered That Will Boost Your Programmer Career
- The Software Career You Didn’t Think To Consider — Professional Services
- How to Coach: A Cheat Sheet
- Building a Workplace Learning Culture: Starter Kit.
- How unclear roles can damage your teams performance (and what you can do about it)
- Beyond scrum: Augmenting agile frameworks to achieve high team performance.
- Writing A Punchy Junior Software Developer Cover Letter: A Case Study.
- The important questions I ask myself every week, and why.
- On becoming a better developer without losing your sanity (8 tips)